Job Title: Food and Beverage Manager
Department: Big Rock Pub-Front of House
Reports to: General Manager
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Supervises: Front of House Employees
Created / Updated: September 2018
The Food & Beverage Manager is responsible for leading the food and beverage service team while ensuring the highest level of guest service and hospitality. This person also oversees all aspects of daily operations, while working in a fun, fast paced environment, and meeting all financial goals for sales and expenses.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience required
- A minimum of 5 years proven management experience in a full-service restaurant environment
- A minimum of 5 years proven personnel management
- Banquet execution and sales experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in resolving customer issues/complaints as well as overall excellent customer service required
- Proficient in computer software including Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Solid time management, organization and prioritization skills
- Proven ability to effectively build and foster a team environment
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Must be of legal age to service alcoholic beverages
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and non-verbally with others
- Ability to work with all personality types even in adverse situations
- Ability to prioritize, anticipate situations, and take quick action
- Ability to manage multiple projects and recommend/implement effective solutions
- Demonstrated commitment to guest service
- Excellent problem solving/decision making skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively in a fast-paced environment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Open availability including late nights, weekends and holidays
- Manages service aspects in all food and beverage assigned areas and events, and acknowledges, greets and thanks all customers
- Manages dining room, bar, patio areas and beverage cart to ensure proper room preparation, including set-up of tables, chairs, linens, table settings, glassware, etc.
- Confirms that all service staff are in proper uniform and adhere to the company’s appearance standards
- Hires, manages and trains staff in all technical and non-technical aspects of their role including standards of quality and service
- Creates, maintains and distributes weekly schedules for staff and communicates changes as appropriate to all
- Communicates with service and kitchen staff regarding reservations and/or special event
- Conducts pre-shift and/or pre-event meetings with all necessary staff
- Evaluates and supervises performance and carries out disciplinary action as needed, in accordance with the company’s policies and applicable laws
- Make rounds to ensure customer needs are met
- Responsible for employee relation issues and reviews incidents with Human Resource Director
- Completes and administers employee performance appraisals
- Conducts monthly beverage inventories and quarterly china, glass and silverware inventories
- Opens and closes pub on a regular basis. Responsible for ensuring pub is secure upon departure and that all lights, equipment, doors, etc. are turned off or locked
- Acts as the Manager on Duty (MOD) when all other management staff has departed for the evening and supervises any remaining staff in the kitchen. Works with remaining staff to complete tasks in an effective and efficient manner.
- Controls costs by General Manager, as requested, in purchasing, maintaining effective profit and loss controls and monitoring labor costs following demand patterns, budget and local labor laws
- Maintains accurate daily and weekly punch details for service staff and processes daily sales reports and other reports as requested
- Maximizes food and beverage sales by training staff on “up-selling.”
- Protects the company, its staff and customers by training staff in and adhering to all safety, sanitation, food preparation, food storage and alcohol beverage control policies including confirming legal drinking age and discontinuing service to intoxicated guests
- Maintains customer satisfaction by handing inquiries, concerns or comments and providing solutions; acquiring feedback from customers and co-workers in order to ensure satisfaction and/or implement service improvement ideas; developing new concepts to ensure customer satisfaction and repeat business
- Maintain consistency of service by being aware of and prepared for all course events, large parties and reservations that may affect food and beverage service operations
- Ensures a pleasant dining experience by collaborating with Executive Chef
- Communicates and teams well with other departments (i.e. Golf, Kitchen, Events, Support Staff, etc.) ensuring appropriate staff levels for all events and ensuring assigned responsibilities are carried out
- Primary duty is management and leadership, however, will be required to fill in as a Server, Host, Bartender, etc. to relieve/back-up staff during peak periods or when short staffed
- Attends and participates in weekly Leadership meetings
- Implements and supports all company initiatives and programs and requested by management
- Teams with other company departments to ensure exemplary customer service and adherence to policies and procedures
- Maintains knowledge of other restaurants and industry trends
- Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print).
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period or for an entire work shift.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Move through narrow, confined, or elevated spaces.
- Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
SAFETY and SECURITY
- Comply with established safe work practices and attend all safety-related training provided or made available by the Company.
- Protect the privacy and security of customers and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
COMPANY FUNDS This position has access to company funds/property, including employee and customer checks and cash.
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION – This position has access to confidential information which includes: company reports, P&L statements, employee personnel file information and other related confidential information.
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org